BEAUTIFUL AND NICE CRETAN VILLAGES NEAR KAMILARI
* Kalamaki (approx. 3 km): located along the beautiful sandy beach. Directly on the coast with several good tavernas with a terrace on the beach front. If you like fresh fish, this is the place to visit. Sun beds are available free of charge.
* Sivas (approx. 3 km): has a particularly cosy village square with four excellent tavernas. On Wednesday evenings there is often live Greek music.
* Listaros (ca. 6 km): Drive through Sivas and after approx. 3 km you will come to the mountain village of Listaros. Here many people are restoring houses in the traditional style. There is also another good taverna with a spectacular view over the Valley and the sea where you can experience unique sunsets.
* Pitsidia (ca. 4 km): You will find tavernas on the main road and in the cosy village square, kafenions and various shops. Just outside the village, in the direction of Matala, there is an excellent Bakery.
* Matala (approx. 8 km): You can visit the famous Roman tombs, carved into the sandstone, where the hippies lived in the 60's. The Bay of Matala has a fine sandy beach with various tavernas. You can also walk from Matala to Red Beach (approx. ½ hour climb).
*Petrokefali (approx. 3 km): an authentic agricultural village where you can sit in the square, enjoying a drink or a simple meal watching daily life.
* Kouses (ca. 5 km): a quiet mountain village where you will find e.g. a taverna and a herbal shop with many local herbs, honey, olive oil etc.
* Agios Ioannis (ca. 2 km): towards the archaeological site of Phaestos. This is a small picturesque village with some tavernas.
* Timbaki & Mires (ca. 8 and 10 km.): the 2 larger towns in the region, however, they are not the most interesting. You will find some big supermarkets, many shops, banks including ATM, a post office, doctors, small hospital etc. The 'Gypsy market' with many fruits, vegetables, clothing, footwear etc. is also here. Friday in Timbaki and Saturday in Mires; from 07.00 – 13.00 hours.